Wednesday, April 10, 2013

We can all use more light in our life....


Now that I have my battery pack I've been taking my light therapy pad out with me more often when visiting clients.  I originally purchased the smaller pad for my personal canine, Gabriel, to use for his cruciate concern and shoulder compensation. I've recently begun using it on my equine clients when needed. I'm very happy with the results so far. The equine pictured in photo had lower right lumbar pain and a bit of edema. I worked on him using aromatherapy/energy work, then the light pad and my aculight torch (acupressure) before beginning the massage portion of bodywork. After 10 minutes with the light therapy pad, the edema had gone away and he was no longer reactive upon palpation. I'm thinking now that I should invest in the larger equine pad. Do I think it was the light therapy alone that helped? Perhaps, perhaps not.  It may all work well in conjunction with the other modalities I offer and practice; another tool to add to my holistic healing kit.  That said, I do think it helped to definitely speed along the process for this particular case. ~**Inez

 

Some of the benefits listed for light therapy:

 

General: Arthritis pain, bursitis, bruising, burns, edema, deep muscle problems, hematomas, inflammation, tight or sore muscles and infections.

Hoof Problems: Abscesses, bone spurs, inflammation, navicular, ringbone and laminitis.

Leg and Body: Ankle problems, bone chips, hock problems, inflammation, ligament soreness, tendon problems, sore backs, splints, strains, stifle issues, sprains, swelling, shoulder pain, hip pain, sore backs, sore necks, salivary gland problems, wounds, cuts, scrapes and for stimulating trigger points and acupuncture points.

 

And some studies for more findings and information:

Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 9:1-5, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, 1989).
Journal of Clinical Laser Medicine & Surgery Polychromatic LED Therapy in Burn Healing of Non-diabetic and Diabetic Rats
2 Impaired Wound Healing and angiogenesis in eNOS-deficient Mice, PC Lee; American Journal of Physiology , 1999 October,277 (4 Pt 2):H1600-8
Oct 2003, Vol. 21, No. 5 : 249 -258 
3May 2006 Issue Of Acta Diabetologica
Biofizika. 2006 Mar-Apr; 51(2):332-9
The results obtained show that exposure of wounds to both laser and light-emitting diode irradiation causes a decrease in the oxidative stress in the rat wound fluid. No significant quantitative difference between the effects of laser and light-emitting diode irradiation was found.*Department of Rehabilitation Sciences and Physiotherapy, Ghent University, 9000 Ghent, Belgium. 2003;18(2):95-9
Mitochondrial signal transduction in accelerated wound and retinal healing by near-infrared light therapy.
Mitochondrion. 2004 Sep;4(5-6):559-67. 
PMID: 16120414 [PubMed]
Mitochondrion. 2004 Sep;4(5-6):559-67. 
PMID: 16120414 [PubMed]
Photomedicine and Laser Surgery
Polarized Light (400–2000 nm) and Non-ablative Laser (685 nm): A Description of the Wound Healing Process Using Immunohistochemical Analysis
Oct 2005, Vol. 23, No. 5 : 485 -492

No comments:

Post a Comment